Search this and my other blogs

Monday, October 18, 2010

How I 'plaster' my walls

I noticed that a few people would like me to show more in depth what I am doing with the paperclay.  Yes, I am 'plastering' the walls with paperclay.  Since I have done a workshop with Rik Pierce I am totally addicted. :-) 

Before I show you the pictures and explain I need to tell you that there are different kinds of paperclay.  One is rather expensive (for me and probably for a few more people) and that is the Creative Paperclay that Rik uses.  It's also the best. I can't deny that, but having said that, I have had satisfactory results with the paperclay that I buy locally (in Brisbane, Australia) at the pottery supply shop.  The good thing is, I can get 10 kilos for the same price as I can buy the Creative Paperclay over here.  The local paperclay is produced in Sydney, I've been told, and the quality is generally good enough for the work I do. 

For my florist I have been using the Creative Paperclay.  For the paperclay workshop I took ('Scrooge', on my other blog) I have used the pottery paperclay.  I am not sure if it was the paperclay itself of the fact that my current batch of Creative Paperclay has dried out slightly, but at the moment I don't have a lot of shrinkage or the cracks that go with it, which I did have with the other sort.  Also, I don't have much left of the good stuff, so I am putting on thinner layers, which also may make a difference.  Thinner layer, less moisture, less room for shrinkage.

Anyway, this is how I do it.  I roll out the paperclay on a tray with edges of approx. 3mm, so when I roll (I use a piece of drainpipe) the sheet is of even width.  I measure the wall and cut out the shape that I need.  I smear glue on the wall, lay the sheet of clay on top and flatten and push it gently in place.  I make the corrections that are needed here and there and roughen the surface with a stiff brush.  When done, it can be left to dry and you can do whatever you want, leave it or give it a light wash for a dirty wall, or paint it in a particular colour (also a wash; for a natural look don't 'paint').




The picture that you see on the wall is a picture made up of tiles.  I have worked it into the 'plaster'.  To my idea it presents a bit of a rustic look.  They are six individual tiles that I have glued on a piece of paper to hold them together to stick neatly onto the wall.

I have made up another one as well, but that picture will hang 'on' the wall.  It's also a series of tiles, but framed.  I'll show you it at a later stage.

I'm going back to work now, before the last of the afternoon light fades away.  I don't like working with artificial light.

I hope my explanations have been of some use to you.

See you around

Marion

5 comments:

  1. Hi Marion, Thanks for showing your steps and explaining the different types of paperclay, it gives a nice, rustic appearance to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot Marion for sharing. I've never thought of using paperclay for walls, but I really like the rustic look. I,ve tried using airdrying clay before, but the shrinking...ohh my.. that was a huge problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. La idea de ponerla en la pared recortada es estupenda. El cuadro de azulejos ha quedado incrustado y el efecto está genial.
    Gracias por estos condejos.
    Besos Clara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danke, Marion, es sieht ganz leicht aus, mit paperclay zu arbeiten. Ich werde es probieren.
    Dein little tutorial ist sehr lehrreich.Prima!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, love the look of the clay will have to give it a go!! I use gap filler it covers mdf and timber well. I create different effects using paper towel and if I want to make cracks I use a stylus while it’s still wet. Can also be sanded. A bit time consuming but as you use it more it becomes easier.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.

I appreciate your friendship.

However, comments with the purpose of (hidden) advertising will not be considered genuine and will be removed.